Well, it turns out we really were stranded on an island. After a few attempts at catching the ferry, lugging our bags back and forth to and from the dock only to hear that the ferry was cancelled yet again due to weather, we were really beginning to believe that we´d never be able to leave. Not that we were excited about getting on that awful ferry again. We had heard that the last time it went, what should have been an hour´s trip ended up being almost two and a half because of how rough the waters were. Lisa was ready to fully drug herself. Anyway, we were sitting in our favorite cafe getting breakfast when a group of three very nice people came up to us and said that they had looked into chartered flights to get off the island that day. The plane would only hold 5 people, and they were hoping to split the cost that way, so would we be interested in joining them? It is worth noting that the flight was 15 minutes, piloted by the only FAA approved pilot in Honduras. It didn´t take long before we agreed to it. And man, was it ever a good idea, even though Lisa half expected to plumet into the ocean at some point during the 10 minutes we were crossing it.

Lisa in the plane, just before take-off.

Reade enjoying the view, just atop the ocean.

Lisa as co-pilot, headset and all.


Aerial views of the Utila coastline.

Coming in for a landing to the runway in La Ceiba.

Our little plane, landed safely in La Ceiba.
4 comments:
WOW! I am impressed. I can't say I would have flown in that plane. :) Was all this bad weather related to Noel? I just saw that it is turning into a pretty bad storm/hurricane. Get back to the mainland! Looks like you are enjoying yourselves. Thanks for the updates!
Love, Stacey
i'm glad you guys are safe and sound, although it looks as if lisa could manage that plane all by herself - bravo for even getting into that thing. keep the stories coming! we miss you guys!
That sounds like so much fun!! And what great pictures. Yall travel in style.
I would've been with you guys. 15 min plane ride better than puking over the rail of a bumpy ferry ride for an hour any day. I'm just catching up on all of your adventures, but they sound great. I think some of the best experiences can happen when you have nothing to do. Glad to hear you survived the rains, the bugs, the jellyfish and the waves. Love the pics!
-shiu
Post a Comment