You become particularly aware of this if you try to use the toilet. At least, at our Spanish school, the stall door is exactly 1 foot from the end of the toilet. That means there is no room for your knees, let alone to stand... and your feet hang out the door.
I was thinking about seeing if I could join the Guate national basketball team. Not that I can play basketball, or that I even would understand what the other players are saying... but I feel like what Manute Bol (really tall basketball player) must have felt like in the U.S.
We came back primarily to get in some good language time. Xela is much more indigenous and less touristy than Antigua, Guate was. So we're forced to speak Spanish much more. Our school is really good, and we're both doing 5 hours of 1:1 learning with a native speaker each week. We are s...l...o...w...l...y making progress.
The culture here is very machismo. Around the house where we're living, the mother is up around 6:30 every morning, and spends the entire morning, day, and evening cooking and cleaning, mostly everything by hand. The men come in and sit down for meals, but never help with preparation of food, cleaning dishes, or anything. This is a little disturbing to me and Lisa, so we help out with dishes and clearing the table, and Lisa has even helped with cooking. The mother of the house is so kind spirited, so welcoming, as is the husband and their boys. But she is really special to us because of how much she does with such a positive attitude.
We like it enough that we're gonna stay here for another week, even though we have to share a bathroom with 8 people and we found bugs in our bed this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment