All of my training runs have been great... I've felt awesome after all of them, and we trained up to 12 miles with maybe a couple of minute long walk breaks. So it never occurred to me that this run would be anything but fun. I guess I got a little too confident, because from the first step of this run I was fighting to finish. It was more humid than I am used to, but that is the only thing I can figure out as to why it was so much harder.
At mile 6, I sent Katie up ahead of me because she was not struggling quite like I was. So until mile 11, I was on my own and it was literally a battle of the will every minute to make myself run and finish. There were many points where I was convinced that I didn't care if I ever ran again. But I finally saw Reade, and there is something about seeing your person... the person who is always for you... that gives you that extra boost you need. I wanted to finish, if not for me, to make him proud of me. So he ran the last mile or so with me and I finally crossed the finish line running hard. My time was not what I was hoping for, but I was happy to finish and be done.
After a shower, some stretching, some icing, and a nap, I was feeling much better. Katie had some friends in Virginia Beach, so we dropped her off at their house and Reade and I went to spend the evening at the beach. It was the perfect end to the day.
Pre-race, early early in the morning. Notice that Katie didn't have her race bib on... we had to turn around and get that. Fortunately she realized it before we got too far away from the house!
We are still smiling because it's early in the race.
Am I stinking there yet?!!!
Hallelujah... we made it.
Celebrating on the beach afterwards...
2 comments:
Congrats on your race!!
wow! what an accomplishment!!! i am sure that you finished strong. congrats again!
Post a Comment