People watching here could be a national pasttime. At least, it could keep me entertained for hours. Several of the locals fit the Rastafarian, Reggae playing stereotype. Many of them ride around on bikes and greet the ladies with a friendly, "Hello, sister". One of them even offered Reade a little "Snow White", which he quickly refused with a smile. Reade had to tell me that it was another name for the drug Ecstacy. Call me sheltered, but I still thought "Snow White" was the name of a Disney movie. There was another man who approached us as Reade, our two friends, and I were finishing a run on the beach yesterday. We were pleasantly surprised as he reached into his little backpack to show us the very last thing we expected to see him pull... his favorite mode of exercise: a jump rope. Yes, it actually was a jump rope. We had definitely thought he was going to try and sell us something. There is also the owner of the little outdoor cafe we enjoy going to for breakfast. He spent a good 15 minutes telling us the history of the last 20 years on the island. The history wasn't that long, really. It just took him a long time to tell it in between puffs on his cigarette. You certainly cannot accuse these folks of being tense. Or unfriendly.
Belize is known for some of the best scuba diving in the world. I am not certified, but Reade is out scuba diving right now with our friends Ryan and Emily that we came here to be with. We don't know what we'd do without them, as they've been instrumental in helping us acclimate to the life here. As Ryan patiently informs me whenever I ask if the dollar prices are American or Belize... "Lis, where are we?" I don't even know why I keep asking. They're going to sit down with us and help us think through the next leg of our trip. We just wish that they were staying in Central America longer. The four of us travel very well together, and both Reade and I have loved being here with them.
There are a few comforts of home that are lacking here which surprised us. The most surprising to me is their toilets. They are the kind that you'd call the plumber in to fix IMMEDIATELY in the states. First of all, you do not flush toilet paper under any circumstances. Yes, if you think about it, this is really gross. But in the case of at least 2 toilets I've used so far, you have to use a bucket to add water to the bowl if you have any hopes of it flushing, even without toilet paper. I've been told that we will encounter this anywhere in Central America. I never realized how very spoiled I am, because things like this are quite an adjustment for me. Hey, I'm in Belize. What do I have to complain about? Nothing at all.
Finally, let me paint a picture for you all. The Caribbean Sea spread out before you as far as the eye can see. Patches of water so blue that it almost looks unreal. Grass umbrellas over your head, blocking out the strong but invogorating sun. Soft sand in between your toes. Breezes off the ocean so refreshing that you forget it's hot outside. Friendly locals striking up a conversation with you as you sip your smoothie made of fresh tropical fruit. Mayan women walking around on the beach with bundles of their handmade blankets somehow balancing on their heads. Good friends to laugh with and good native food to eat for not much money. No schedule or commitments. Life really eez good, mon.
Reade and our friend, Ryan, enjoying the Belizean beaches.
9 comments:
are you having fun lisa? we miss you so so so so so much!!! is everything going okay? Luv ya,
Jessica
That sounds amazing, I wish I was there with you! I guess it was worth the wait huh?
I am so glad I got this! Looking forward to hearing about more of your adventures! xoox - Lizzy
That sounds like a dream come true. Thanks for the update and keep em coming. We can live vicariously through you while we remain in busy life here in the metro dc area.
i miss you ssooo much! email me all the time!
Love, Shannon
Hey lisa! I miss you! Its not going to be the same here without you!Especially at Bible study!
i love you so much! ahhh!
love u!
rachel
i'm in utila, a few islands to the south! same stunnings ocean views, same delicious smoothies, same creole soundtrack and LOVING it. See you soon in Antigua. -Andrea
LISA!! we miss you and are so sad your not here but you sound like everthing is AWESOME!! Loved the pics! Luv Ya,
Jessica
LISA! ahhhh! miss you soooo sooo sooo much! its not the same without you! email me all the time and i love looking at the pictures! you are the best! love you so so sooooo much!
love,
rachel
Post a Comment